I started 2011 as a new Father. Today is my daughter’s first Birthday and my first year as a Dad.
My daughter has brought a new sense of purpose into my life and although 2011 being a very crappy year for business and many other aspects I was able to keep on moving forwards thanks to the motivation that just one smile can bring me.
Becoming a Dad was a bit surreal at the beginning but a very pleasant experience I will cherish in the years to come. I look back many years ago when I never thought of becoming a Dad I had other things in my head that I felt where a priority over creating a family. Looking back I am glad that I waited until the moment finally happened because I don’t feel that it could have happened in a better moment.
2011 A Year of implementing what I learned
Since 2008 I have been reinventing myself consistently from a failed job board project we had locally to other attempts to get into newer businesses. 2011 was filled with many obstacles in many aspects of my life. Business was terrible and I literally survived the whole year out of savings from what I made in 2010 but those savings made me enjoy almost every moment of my daughter’s first year, which I consider priceless.
Choosing over accepting
To a certain extent business was not as good as in 2010 because I decided to move on from some things I use to do and other factors also played into me looking into new revenue sources. The fact that I want to spend as much time with my daughter made me be a bit more picky on which projects I would want to launch and which ones I would pass on to colleagues, competitors, and friends.
Quality over Quantity
I am very intense in everything I do and something I have been convincing myself over these past 18 months is the importance of quality over quantity when it relates to blogging, personal life, relationships and many other aspects of my personal and business goals. I have been a lot quicker in making decisions of leaving things behind when I see the quality of something is not going where I want it to be helping me focus more on quality in what I deliver.
I still need to continue improving how I incline towards quality instead of quantity but 2011 really helped me set a good baseline.
As a way of looking back and learning at my accomplishments and my failures I want to go ahead and go over key events in 2011 that I thought where critical to a year of lots of lessons.
- I wrote a post on how creating content is similar to preparing Onion Rings. 5 Reasons Why Homemade Onion Rings Are Like Original Content?
- Was able to create a relationship with ETurboNews regarding a post they wrote on Puerto Rico Tourism in which they were right on the money. The Puerto Rico Tourism Company failed greatly at representing us and too this day they still made some promises in which they did not follow through with.
- Launched Veglatino where anyone interested in learning about the vegetarian lifestyle from the perspective of a few Latinos who share their experiences, recipes, and related posts on what being vegetarian and Latino is all about. More info @veglatino.
- I proclaimed my love of Monday’s (I Fell In love with Monday! Why haven’t you?)
- I made a pledged to Stop Texting while I drive thanks to @thebrandbuilder sharing a video with me. I have improved greatly at this bad habit but something I am still working on.
- Another Failure of the Puerto Rican Tourism Company.
- A lot of people related and enjoyed this post on Community Building vs. Growing Your Ego
- My first time at South by Southwest where I got to meet many awesome people like Guy Kawasaki, Gary Vaynerchuk, Hugh Macleod, Nicole Simon, and even got a glimpse of one of my favorite boxers when I was a kid Mike Tyson. A week full of lifetime memories. https://raulcolon.net/category/events/sxswi/
- I dropped and broke my iPad 2 days after buying it in Austin during SXSW Updated : iPad 2 Very Fragile to this day the most read post on my blog.
- Ordered my first batch of @meet_meme business cards, which have helped me connect greatly throughout the year and also helped me win a Digital Camera, which I will be reviewing soon.
- I met Joseph Harrell Movie producer and ex Marine which got me up to date on the Movie Happy New year Happy New Year #SXSW #Film!
- I was mentioned by E-Turbo News creating awareness of the current animal abuse issues we have on the island.
- Turned 31 and receive my first gift from my daughter with the help of her awesome mom Lucy. Happy Birthday Daddy!
- Interviewed Mario Gonzalez Lafuente, Executive Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company for Eturbonews on addressing major tourism issues in Puerto Rico. Mr. Gonzalez made some promises on April 14th that I am still waiting to hear from his staff.
- Was mentioned and thanked in the best book on Social Media ROI by Olivier Blanchard.
- I spoke at Hispanicize 2011 where I spoke at two sessions and moderated two more. Most importantly was able to visit LA for the first time and spend time with my good friend @toxic_lunch. Going to Universal Studios and my second visit to Disneyland.
- In LA had the privilege to meet in person my good friend Jacqueline Carly.
- Interviewed Felipe Lyon regional manager from Group on Puerto Rico Group on Puerto Rico Interview with Felipe Lyon
- Got invited to Best Buy Technology Show thanks to Meeting Ana Grace from Best Buy at SXSWi. Began a very unique relationship with Otterbox, which has only gotten better as the days go by.
- I created a series on Online Privacy please TMI (Too Much Information) Being Shared in Social Media.
- Tried to simplify the main question I like to ask in this blog how can I help you?
- Celebrated one year of this blog
- I lost my admiration for Barack Obama after his lame 4 hour visit to the island acting like any other politician @barackobama’s Visit: As American as Arroz Con Gandules
- Read an awesome book on small business blogging by my good friend Mark Hayward. Problogger’s Guide to Blogging For Your Business
- Launched Papaheroes.com along my good friend Rick Lipsett and Lucy Feliciano.
- Wrote a post against how our local government is trying to trying to censor bloggers Our Representative in Congress Pierluisi Censors Blogger!.
- I started my Morning Pages recommended by my good friend and business mentor Joe Sorge.
- The folks at Sears Latino where annoyed at my criticism and ended up leaving nasty messages on my blog. Later apologizing for the child like behavior via email.
- The confusion of some of the Island residents in Puerto Rico on independence let me to write Colonial Sickness Causes Delusions on Celebrating Independence.
- I opened my Google Plus account that I clearly use more than any other social network at the moment. Feel free to circle me or just say hi https://plus.google.com/u/0/+RaulColon
- I realized Netflix had stole more than 700 dollars out of my account I still have not received a reimbursement by them.
- Was able to unite a local influential bloggers at San Juan Marriott where I got paid for the effort and was able to have a great time with other bloggers I admire and respect.
- I learned about Aromatherapy thanks to Ivelisse from Scentonality and a neat gift Lucy and I received.
- I expressed my opinion on a so called Latino Influencer ” The United Latino Rebels and Misrepresentation of Being Latinos” for trying to act like an online bully behind the scenes. Apparently he needs to understand what transparency is and I got the support of many individuals that felt the same way I did. One of my most commented posts up to date.
- Was invited to be present at another event by the San Juan Marriott using bloggers as a main source of bringing more people to their properly and Puerto RIco as Tourists.
- I found out about Ommwriter the main application I write 98% of my blog posts in. Writing with less distractions thanks to Ommwriter
- Realized that I have had a loyal customer for more than a decade. Very thankful for him! My Longest Standing Customer @RomualdoBaez
- My favorite Airline @jetblue disappointed me till this day I have never received a message from them regarding this issue. Big Glitch in Communicating with my Favorite Airline
- Turned Our CIMA IT Corporate website into a Bilingual One
- Started the month with bad news on somebody I had admired greatly by mourning the loss of a Key Twitter Follower!
- Went to Inbound Marketing Summit for the second year in a row and had the privilege to meet Rob Hatch in person. I also spent good quality time with my good friend and business partner Chris Brogan. A few days of many lessons thanks to my business partners Chris and Rob.
- I got to stay at the Colonnade Hotel. A Bath Robe, Rubber Duckies & Unique Customer Experience at The Colonnade
- Got News that my grandma America was diagnosed with Cancer at the late stages. Visited her in Connecticut she said goodbye to me giving me a very powerful message I will keep with me. It was the last time I saw her.
- Spoke at ISACA International Latin Information Risk Management conference. Got upgraded to the presidential suite at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan, received a pair of Valuable Socks, & a Priceless Moment
- I got the opportunity to be featured on Kitchen Table Talks on the Pulse as the Kitchen Table Company of the week. . The main topic was not giving up!
- Published 8 Lessons From Bartending that help me run a Small Business post on my experiences as a bartender was shared by very influential people online
- I invested my time with some Local Puerto Rico Artists which also invest their time in teaching art to underprivileged kids via de Sole Plus Converse Organization. Learning by Investing Time for a Good Cause @soleplus
- I had a very uncomfortable experience with my bank I am still waiting on changes and a formal response from them. I asked the question, does @DoralBank & Other Banks Care About Customer Service? I still have not seen any improvement or interest to Doral fixing it.
- Very happy that Vegetarian Friendly PF Changs chain set up a restaurant in my favorite mall in San Juan.
- Grandma America lost her Battle with Cancer a few days before her Birthday.
- A complete month of a lot of reflecting and rethinking everything and preparing to start 2012 on a better note. I have to say this month I created the least amount of content during the whole year.
- Reminded people that spamming and sending unsolicited messages disguised as holiday greetings is still spamming. Thin Line between Holiday Wishes & Spam
- Celebrated One year of being a dad and Daniela also celebrates her first birthday!
- Created this long list reflecting on the complete year of posts and experiences that made 2011.
Thanks to all of you for supporting my efforts and reading this long post .
How did 2011 turn out for you? Please share in the comments area!