One of my favorite places to visit is still Borders. My love towards reading always makes me stop by bookstores once I am near on. I have not been buying as many physical books but I also have no good bookstores near my home.
- Reasons Why I have not been buying from Borders
- Bloggers and Authors have sent me book copies to review like for example @ChrisBrogan sent me enough books to keep me busy for a good three months and @charleneli Sent me her book Open Leadership before it was launched so I could review it.
- I have been buying E-Books because it makes it easier for me to find a title vs. getting lost at borders and never finding it. They also have recovered my investment on the Ipad since they are a lot less expensive. I can carry them everywhere and they don’t take much space.
- My closest Borders is more than one hour away. With my Ipad as long as I have an Internet connection I can quickly grab a copy of any book and in seconds I am reading the first page.
Why I think Borders Failed
- I have created a list of reasons why I think they Failed.
- Late to the E-book market
- People like me that only bought something when there was a discount.
- Cafeteria and coffee shops has terrible Service. Especially the Plaza Las Americas Store.
- Terrible organization of books and products which made it difficult find what you need or want. Barnes and noble does a better job in organizing maybe they should copy Barnes & Noble’s Style a bit.
- Employees where not always willing to help.
- I complained about bad service on many occasions I guess corporate did not care of how myself as a customer felt.
Areas for Improvement
Facilitate special orders. I think that Borders needs to integrate more of the online experience into their stores. if they don’t have a book they should expedite getting that book in the most hassle free way. Who knows they might be able to provide you an electronic version while you wait for the physical copy.
Maximize on Food and Cafe Sales. Locally in San Juan I have seen the large volume of sales Borders does selling food and drinks. They always seem to be understaffed and need a lot of improvement in the customer service and cleanliness of the eating areas.
Re-organize Store. When I shopped at Barnes & Noble I went towards the BusinessWeek area of recommended books. Borders might want to join with communities online or offline like book clubs and those entities or influential people that have recommended books and make very accessible to everyone.
Any other recommendations to help Borders Recover? Any of your experiences where similar to mine?