I have to say I have never read a book that was so much fun and educational at the same time. I had the opportunity to meet Hugh Macleod @gapingvoid & gapingvoid.com and received a complimentary copy of his book Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World DominationSuccess Books) (Amazon Affiliate Link)
at the Samsung Bloggers Lounge during SXSW.
I really recommend this book for everyone who is:
- Trying to start something and has not done it yet
- Started something and needs to have some support
- Does not know if he should keep his job or go on their own.
It has been three years this month that I decided to work for myself and started CIMA IT Solutions. It has been three interesting years but here I am with the challenge of getting my business going and experimenting with different things. A few days ago I decided to offer a basic website setup for $495 during a caht with my Small Business Advisory Board at Kitchen Table Companies.
My favorite chapter was Sleep Rough. I have been sleeping rough for the last 3 years and when people want to reach their goals they have to sleep rough. Are You willing to sleep rough? Is achieving your goals worth sacrificing a good nights rest?
Nowheresville – He explains how people waiting for the perfect moment get lost in limbo he calls Nowheresville. In other words if you have been wanting to quit your day job and are to scared to do it you are in Nowheresville.
“Make sure there is some type of adventure, some sort of triumph over adversity”
Otherwise other people will not be interested. Most People want a happy ending.
What I really liked about the book.
Things I really liked about this book where the Short Stand alone Chapters with great messages that you can easily go back and read to get motivated.
Awesome cartoons that complement the pages and the chapters.
Part of the Key Things so you can Embark on your Evil Plan
- The Hunger
- Something to believe in
- Importance of being able to talk about our experiences and things we use.
- Different types of Capital and the first time I found the term Expressive Capital
Given that I have reached this milestone, this book gives you and I great advice on the following key points related to business and personal development:
- Watching out for people that want to be the only voice (extremely possessive Boss).
- The Three Selves
- Person you think you are
- Person God thinks you are
- Who are you really? A question Hugh explains never gets old and I agree.
- Person other people think you are
Keeping it Simple
- Keep It simple and the importance of making a world class product while creating your microbrand.
- Hugh explains how he Lives in a place which is 1/5 of the cost and 1/50th of the stress level. Which is the same reason why I live in Puerto Rico. I have to find a better ratio on the stress level.
Money is only secondary your dreams are first
- Lack of Capital is an advantage because it can inspire creativity.
- Not only going by the numbers going by what people need and giving a priority to relationships.
- Human Beings need to tell stories. Marketing = Storytelling
- Importance of being First to write content
- Ex. Thomas Mason and English Cut
- First in writing a blog about tailoring suits
- Ex. Thomas Mason and English Cut
- Leave a trail of breadcrumbs
- Find your gift
- Make sure it is received as a gift
- Figure out what your trail of breadcrumbs will lead too.
So if you are into reading a fun book while trying to find new goals in life feel free to get a copy of Evil Plans: Having Fun on the Road to World DominationSuccess Books) (Amazon Affiliate Link)