I have never been a fan of Voicemail for many reasons but it was not until the other day when I wrote Why you should stop using Auto-Dm! I found the main reason why I dislike Voicemail. My friend @michaeldcc, a local blogger who I respect for his great work on his blog Poder 5 , made a comment regarding how voicemail was not personal at all.
For those of you that have met me, I am passionate about conversing with others. Some people might think I talk a lot but I just like keeping the conversation going.
Reasons why I am not a Fan of Voicemail
- Long messages people leave when they reach your voicemail. For some reason people actually think I stay on the phone long enough to listen to the complete message. When I had my voicemail active, I would hear who and proceed to call them back.
- Consumes precious time when in most occasions you can’t resolve the problem until you get more details or a clear explanation of what was left on the voicemail message.
- Most of the time the person that left the voicemail will repeat the message anyway.
- One way conversation since the only option you have in the voicemail is to listen to the person who left you a message. Very little interaction.
- If someone leaves a message that I don’t agree with it annoys me. Voicemail does not give you the opportunity to defend yourself.
I keep myself away from any channel that has little interaction and is time consuming.
Until I can get some good reasons on why to activate my voicemail, here are alternate channels people can contact me: email, twitter, facebook, linkedin, beluga, SMS, and my blog.
So if you have to get a hold of me please keep voicemail out of the equation.
Did I miss any pros and cons on voicemail? Feel free to share your thoughts.
Photo Credit by Pen Waggener