I was going to write a post aligned to this but I guess the message was more than clear and a special signal from a superior being (whichever you believe in God, Allah, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Darth Vader and the many others).
As many of you know I am an animal lover. Not only do I dearly try to protect them I also don’t eat them.
Last night while some friends brought me an early Birthday present we saw a rabbit running around the street. Since we knew it has escaped we set up a strategy and will a little bit of cabbage to entice him we where able to capture him.
Since we live in a gated community I called the security guards so they could contact the owner of the rabbit. The owner was notified but I guess for him enjoying his Friday night was more important than retrieving his pet.
Sadly this is a good example on how in our Island (Puerto Rico) people really treat pets as pure objects. Yes I have to give credit to a few of us that are really passionate about defending their rights and protecting them but we are an obvious minority.
As I have expressed various times through this blog and via other channels I regret not having people that are more conciensce of the rights of animals in and it makes it even harder to understand when they do it with their pets.
I am not asking everyone to become vegetarian or to be as committed as a few people that I know like @mark_hayward and Dellymar from @sasfapr are to improving animal wealth-fare here locally but if you decide to buy a pet make sure you make the full commitment.
I guess given this incident of how the Easter Bunny came to visit me early has created a disturbance in the force since my pampered pet Juanga decided that he did not want this intruder in our home. So here on the Saturday Morning of my Birthday after trying to calm Juanga all night and not sleeping much I want to share my Birthday Wishes.
As a Birthday present I would really like you to the one (or more than one its up to you of) the following things.
- Contact Sasfapr.org and Adopt a Dog from Sasfapr.org an animal No Kill Shelter in Puerto Rico and/or Animal Wealthfare of Culebra ( you can send a tweet @mark_hayward he can gladly help you via twitter also).
- Help my friend @ricklipsett by donating, buying art, and spreading the word on helping a friend with Newborn which was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks back. Yamil Colón, needs a bone marrow transplant. His twin sister Camila, died of this condition when no one suspected what was going on. Since I am a new dad myself and @danielalcolon would really appreciate if you reach out to them.
- Or be creative and do something special for someone or even donate to your favorite charity.
- Make sure a Homeless person gets a meal today. I will go out and make sure I make that happen if not today in the following days.
- Let your love one’s know you love them. (4 and 5 I have taken from a great list @chrisbrogan created months ago on his blog post How You Could Help, Thanks Chris).
- Send a cash donation to any of the above mentioned organizations.
- Write a post of any of the Above Mention organizations to create awareness.
- Sign Up for my Newsletter or hit my Blog’s Like Page , I had to at least insert one item for me 🙂 | Subscribe to Raul Colon’s Blog via Email
Remember even if you can’t donate money you can always invest time in a cause or charity you truly believe in. Even sending a tweet or posting a message in your wall on Facebook can make a difference. If you share it with your network and someone does the same it might pay off.
So if you really want to wish me a Happy Birthday! Take something from the list or add any other ideas in the comments area.
Enjoy your Easter Weekend and Love your Family and never forget about your extended family (your Pets).